News & Updates
Both news media and general public can find important information
about updates, alerts and events that impact human rights in Sri Lanka

Duminda chased out of Wanathamulla

2014 Feb 17

Protesters attack the MP with bottles, slippers and stones, rejecting his concerns over abducted activist
United People's Freedom Alliance (UPFA) Parliamentarian, Duminda Silva, was chased away by the people of Wanathamulla yesterday evening, when he had visited the area to intervene in the matter regarding the abduction of an activist identified as Sunil.

The people of the area had become incensed upon the arrival of Silva and had ordered him to get out of the area at once. Silva was seen attacked with glass bottles, slippers and stones by the people. The police had to shift the MP to safety, away from the angry crowd.

Wanathamulla activist, Sunil, was allegedly abducted by a group of unidentified men in a red van around 11 a.m. yesterday.
According to Sunil's brother, on Thursday (13) Sunil who was leading a protest against the demolition of houses in Wanathamulla was threatened by an unidentified person.

Family members and friends of Sunil and residents of Wanathamulla staged a protest in Dematagoda. The protesters set fire to tyres, demanding the release of Sunil.

"When we complained to the police, they said that they will get back to us in 45 minutes. So far nothing has been done and that's why we have taken to the streets demanding his release. My brother didn't do anything wrong to be taken away like a dog. He fought for what is rightfully ours," Sunil's sister said.

The family members said Sunil had received threats before, but continued to fight for the rights of the people in the area. They added, even on Thursday, Sunil was seen arguing with officials saying that he would fight till the end.
There was a massive police presence in Wanathamulla, attempting to control the angry protesters.
Meanwhile, United National Party (UNP) Parliamentarian, Ravi Karunanayake, was also seen at the scene to inquire into the matter. However, police demanded the immediate removal of Karunanayake from the area, accusing him of trying to fuel the issue by arguing with senior officers on whereabouts of Sunil and what is happening regarding his release.

Sunil's sister said, "Dematagoda Police promised to return my brother within 45 minutes. But, so far, there is no word about him. They cannot hurl false accusations against my brother. We refuse to move from the area until his release."

Around 5:00 p.m. it was reported that Sunil was dropped off somewhere in Biyagama, by a group of unidentified men.

Search News & Updates